<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/355407530640092904?origin\x3dhttp://siamxzlahxz.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Monday, August 25, 2008 2:16 AM
medals, glory and honour

The one event that has been splashed in newspaper all over the world and I have not written about: the Olympics. Not that I can write very well (I wish I can write like those in the newspaper), but this Olympics has been an eye-opener for me, and a very entertaining one.



For the past 16 days, I have been switching among the 6 channels available, checking out scores, watching live telecasts amidst my studies. I have missed out some of the greatest matches, the greatest races, and some by mere seconds. The athletics sprints especially: I switched on the TV to watch Usain Bolt in replay and Team Jamaica celebrate their victory.



Can't agree more that this Olympics produced lots of stories. Michael Phelps and his dramatic hundredth of a second win, his water-in-goggles win and that goddamn 8 gold medals haul. And how he remained thin eating 12,000 calories a day. Usain Bolt became my idol after proving TALL people can sprint. Note the word TALL. How the Singapore table tennis matches brought the family together with their first medal. China vs China vs China in table tennis. Team USA basketball matches. The beach volleyball girls in bikinis, divers in their figure-hugging tights. 16, 17 year olds in the Olympics when I'm at home watching them play. And many more.




Talk about 16, 17 year olds. One of those talents I noticed is 17 year old Ricky Rubio of Espana Basketball Team. Yes, basketball. 17 year old. Olympics. Amazing. Especially how he played so well in the likes of Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Jason Kidd, Dwayne Wade etc. He's good looking too, ladies.



Got to admit, the games that got me glued to the TV the longest had to be Team USA, Team Redeem basketball matches. All their gravity defying dunks, three-sixties, backhands, alleyoops, threepointers are just too good to miss. That's why I don't watch women basketball, they don't dunk. The basketball finals this afternoon didn't disappoint. USA vs Espana, a very close match with many awe-inspiring moments, and a 17 year old playing.



Yes, basketball has always been a magical game for me, but I will only play it competitively again if I can dunk. Hahahah. Besides, this Olympics got me interested in a new game: Handball. I've never played it before, but I got a feeling it's gonna be my type of game. But then again, I thought basketball was my life. Heh.

The only disappointing moment FOR ME had to be the closing ceremony. It got me sleeping. The only thing spectacular was the fireworks (very spectacular), and the large scaleness of the event.




All in all, this Olympics brought out the sportsman in me, added oil to my passion flame for sports and proved China could do something right. Not all things that are 'Made in China' are bad. I wonder why I didn't bother about the Olympics before?

What's gonna happen next?

...