I remembered last year's Primers Awards Night (PAN) left me with a bad impression. Ironically, I was in this year's PAN committee. I got to say we did a great job planning, did the powerpoint, thought of mass ice-breakers, special awards, funny moments, and found 10 steamboats.
However, on the actual day itself, things went wrong. We went to the location early, to find out it was not booked. THE ADULT OFFICER ACTUALLY BOOKED THE WRONG DATE. The thing is, he's not part of the committee, he wasn't part of the planners, he was needed to book the place because of his 'authority'. Fuck.
The worst thing is almost 100 people were on their way for the event. Mad rush to call the group leaders to delay their groups while we figured things out. A last minute impromptu decision to book the BBQ pits at East Coast Park from AXS machines was made. We had to move back and forth as the weather was threatening. The committee also rushed to buy charcoal and set up the pits for the groups while they shopped for food.
All our plans were thwarted. No presentation, no ice breakers, no funny moments, no electricity, no steamboats. I freaking brought 3 steamboats to school and they weren't used. People turned up in smart attire, some even formal, just to receive the news that we're having BBQ. I felt sucky as part of the committee.
The awards still had to be given out. This year's PAN was quite special - under the stars, as according to some of them. But to me, I think it's a failure. If only we double-checked.
So much for my virgin committee experience. I felt quite proud for myself though, running around ensuring things went smoothly (if it's still possible), and mingling with my POC groupmates, who found out I'm actually not a year 1. Hahah.
Nevertheless, some freshies still had fun. I hope.
However, on the actual day itself, things went wrong. We went to the location early, to find out it was not booked. THE ADULT OFFICER ACTUALLY BOOKED THE WRONG DATE. The thing is, he's not part of the committee, he wasn't part of the planners, he was needed to book the place because of his 'authority'. Fuck.
The worst thing is almost 100 people were on their way for the event. Mad rush to call the group leaders to delay their groups while we figured things out. A last minute impromptu decision to book the BBQ pits at East Coast Park from AXS machines was made. We had to move back and forth as the weather was threatening. The committee also rushed to buy charcoal and set up the pits for the groups while they shopped for food.
All our plans were thwarted. No presentation, no ice breakers, no funny moments, no electricity, no steamboats. I freaking brought 3 steamboats to school and they weren't used. People turned up in smart attire, some even formal, just to receive the news that we're having BBQ. I felt sucky as part of the committee.
The awards still had to be given out. This year's PAN was quite special - under the stars, as according to some of them. But to me, I think it's a failure. If only we double-checked.
So much for my virgin committee experience. I felt quite proud for myself though, running around ensuring things went smoothly (if it's still possible), and mingling with my POC groupmates, who found out I'm actually not a year 1. Hahah.
Nevertheless, some freshies still had fun. I hope.
PAN 2009: 21st May 2009