Primers’ Orientation Camp... what do I love about it, you ask? Well, what don’t I love? OK, so I wasn’t feeling so hot about the huge ass bugs all over the place, but bugs aside, this camp was one of the best camps I’ve ever been to. Kudos to my group leader, the awesome Rongyuan! She did a brilliant job of leading the group, Ruby (WOOTS!) solo. Poor Weiqiang. He’s the other leader who unfortunately, got real sick right before the camp, so he couldn’t go. Good news, though. He’s feeling much better now!
Camp activities were well thought-out. It can’t be easy to plan such a large scaled camp. There were few screw-ups, if there were any at all. Although it rained, camp activities went on with barely a glitch because a contingency plan had been prepared. Everyone was gathered together and the facilitators cleared a large space in the canteen for everyone (in record time, I might add). Games and activities were creative and catered to people with varying interests, with sporty stuff like Kayaking and Repelling, new games like Human Foosball, which I SO love, and good ol’ favourites like Captain’s Ball and Dog & Bone- with a twist! Can you believe they replaced the ball with fruits such as oranges and peeled bananas (like, imagine all the nasty squishy leftovers) and even vegetables??? AND they used a dude for Dog & Bone. Poor guy was sloshed with water all night long, I guess. Haha. To the water-logged dude: Thanks for being such a good sport about it! :D
The activities were not only targeted at us simply having fun. One example would be Repelling, where a number of us overcame our fears and did what can be described as going off the edge of a four-storey building. FOUR-FREAKING-FLOORS! That’s considered high for me, because I have a slight fear of heights. Paiseh. And in games such as Captain’s Ball and some fill-up-a-bucket-of-water game which name escapes me, we had to learn to work as a team. This, in part with the group leaders’ hard work, would explain why the groups are all so bonded.
Oh, and Ruby won “zi high” award. Woots! Yay for all teams for being so cooperative but most of all, thanks to all the facilitators and organisers for making this experience such an unforgettable one!
By: Anna, Ruby/Iris
Basically, she has summed it all up for me. :D
POC 2009: 15-17 May 2009