


An on-the-spur and just-wanna-get-over-the-application decision to join as a stretcher bearer instead got me one of the best jobs as a volunteer. My job scope is to carry any casualty up a stretcher and transfer him or her to the ambulance or medical room. But fortunately no serious injuries in my time of duty required me to work. That means that everytime I report for duty, I proceed to the field of play and just watch the games. Being a sports enthusiast, that is simply awesome. Free tickets to the games. Soak in the atmoshpere, whenever an athlete make a beautiful shot, or a good defence. Go 'oooh' and 'aww' with the spectators. Laugh at me as a stretcher bearer huh.





Of course, besides the free access to the field of play, it has been an enriching experience for me. Learnt a new medical skill, make new friends, work with different people, get up close with athletes, learnt new sport, free food, drinks, transport, and I even got to try out shooting a handball after the athletes were done with their training. And just because I was wearing the YOG volunteer shirt, I had random high fives from foreign athletes, and was asked on advice for shopping venues and to lead them there. Hell, I even took part in a media filming/interview.

Initially I didn't know what the big deal was when Singapore won the bid to host the YOG, but now I am so glad that Moscow didn't win it. That gave me, and many others, a chance to be part of history, to be part of the Olympics, no matter how small it might be. It could even be a once in a lifetime chance.